What is a night guard?
A night guard is a special type of mouth guard that is worn only at night while you sleep. Night guards are used to treat bruxism by fitting over your teeth.
What is bruxism?
Bruxism is also known as teeth grinding and clenching. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware that they clench and grind their teeth because it occurs while they sleep. If you experience any of the following symptoms, you may suffer from bruxism:
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines
- Jaw pain, tightness in the jaw muscles, or tired jaw muscles
- Chronic facial pain
- Very worn, chipped, flattened, or cracked teeth
- Indentations on the side of your tongue
- Very worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth
Do I need a night guard?
Our knowledgeable dentist, Dr. Dolnick, may recommend a night guard in Niles, Illinois if you suffer from the symptoms of bruxism. The night guard prevents teeth grinding and clenching at night to alleviate the painful symptoms and prevent damage to your teeth. We invite you to contact our dental office today to learn more about bruxism and to learn whether a night guard is right for your smile.